Monday, June 9, 2014

What a difference a year makes!

Eighty years ago, Maria Grever wrote the Grammy winning song, "What a Difference a Day Makes"...Twenty-four little hours...The difference is you. I feel that way about this past year with VCLA. Three hundred sixty five days...the difference is you...my students and their families!

I had ideas about the classes I'd offer and the tools I would use to teach students. Some of those ideas and tools remain, and some of them are no longer. Some have been replaced with different options. Many factors led to those decisions, but a main ingredient was feedback from parents and students. You offered feedback, suggestions, and told me what you needed. I listened. A year later I have refined VCLA's curriculum, marketing strategies, and policies. I am so proud of the school VCLA has become, and I am excited about the new classes VCLA is offering this summer, including several writing classes and a study skills strategy class. Most importantly, I am grateful for the students whose lives I touched. I love working one-on-one with the students. 


Two weeks ago I asked my students' families to respond to a survey; nine of them did. Here are the questions and a few responses:



1.       My child’s tutor has the knowledge and skills necessary to teach my child.


2.       The tutor motivates my child to learn.


3.       VCLA provides a safe, healthy, and supportive learning environment for my child.
                                       

4.       My child’s tutor challenges my child and provides meaningful learning opportunities for him/her.


5.       The tutor genuinely cares about my child and his/her learning.


6.       The tutor has a rich repertoire of instructional practices, strategies, and resources, and she applies them appropriately. 


7.       My child’s tutor provides regular updates of my child’s progress.

8.       My child’s tutor revises instructional strategies based upon my student’s achievement data.


9.       I would recommend VCLA’s services to my family and friends.

The tenth question asked families to share their thoughts about VCLA. Here are a few of the comments: 


Since my daughter began tutoring sessions at VCLA, her writing skills have improved drastically. Her creative writing teacher at King George High School says so, too!

*********

Since my grandchild has been with VCLA she has the self-esteem to know that it is okay to ask questions. Her grades have improved. I am very pleased with the progress she has made. Thanks Ms. Berry!

********* 

My daughter HATED math before she started attending VCLA each week. She wasn't interested because she wasn't understanding the material. She has become more confident in her abilities. It's wonderful to see!

*********

My child’s grades have improved and homework has become a lot easier. Ms. Berry has been so helpful by giving us strategies for my son to use at home and in school. I love Ms. Berry’s passion and the encouragement she gives my son.

*********


Thanks to the people who responded to the survey!

Sincerely,
Carolyn Berry

P.S. - VCLA will follow summer hours beginning Monday, June 16, 2014. The hours are 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. unless an evening class is scheduled!


No comments:

Post a Comment