Friday, June 20, 2014

A tribute to the children who inspired me to become a teacher

When asked why I chose to become a teacher - specifically, a special education teacher - I think back to the children I knew growing up who had disabilities. When I was six (WAY before any state or federal legislation mandated education for students with disabilities), there was one classroom in my school that educated all grade levels of students with intellectual disabilities.

The children ate lunch during the same block as I. My class arrived at the lunchroom first; their class arrived last. I usually was finished eating by the time they began. I knew something was different about them, but to my six-year-old mind the difference was that so many teachers helped them by opening milk cartons, unwrapping sandwiches, and helping them raise spoons and forks to their mouths. I sometimes had trouble opening my milk carton, but no teacher helped me!

This coincided with the early days of space exploration when the United States was sparring against the Soviet Union to conquer outer space. Our entire student body, including the children with disabilities, assembled in the cafeteria to watch the launches and re-entries of each of NASA' s Project Mercury missions televised during the school day. This was history, and NO ONE was left behind!

A few years later, I met a friend's cousin. My friend lived adjacent to my mom's best friend from high school whom we visited often. Therefore, playing with Joy at her home was a frequent occurrence. Her cousin had cerebral palsy. He walked with a gait, but at that age he still could run and play kick ball - just not as fast or as far as we.

I also took piano lessons from Mrs. Lewis, a woman I dearly loved and admired. A concert pianist, she had studied music at a conservatory in England, yet she returned to Southern Maryland and shared her passion with everyday folk. I am so blessed to have been one of her students. I include this muse because her husband had muscular sclerosis; my father remodeled their home to accommodate Mr. Lewis' wheelchair.

In high school, I met two friends whose siblings have disabilities - one, an older brother with cerebral palsy, and the second, a younger sister with an intellectual disability. I also babysat a young neighbor boy who had Duchenne muscular dystrophy. I was the only teen in town who wasn't afraid to care for him. My work with his family led to my becoming a volunteer camp counselor at the muscular dystrophy summer camp held annually at the horse farm of broadcast-legend Arthur Godfrey in Loudoun County near Leesburg. My first charge was first-time camper Gary Welzenbacher from Pulaski, VA. He was a cute, sweet, 6-year-old little boy. He loved his week of summer camp. He swam, rode horses, took canoe rides, sang songs, and had a ton of fun. His mother sent me a lovely beaded evening bag, which I still have, as a thank you. She need not have done that. I was honored to have shared that summer with her son.

There was no doubt when I decided to become a teacher that I would earn an endorsement in special education. Students with disabilities have been a part of my life since I was six years old. I saw them as kids just like me with a few extra needs that teachers seemed to accommodate freely. As an adult, it baffles me why educating students with special needs ever became such a battleground.

Of all the children who touched my life as a child, the only one I know as an adult is Sherri. Although I have not seen Sherri in years, her older sister, also a special education teacher, and I maintain our friendship through Facebook. I see pictures of Sherri and I know she has significant health needs that require the help of a personal care assistant 24/7; she no longer participates in Special Olympics and other "special" outings, but she maintains her brilliant smile and loving personality. If I had to name one person who had the greatest impact on my decision to be a special education teacher, I would select Sherri. (Gary would be a close second.) I spent a lot of time at my friend's house during my teen years. My memories of Sherri are fond and vivid. This is a special thank you to Gary and the others for teaching me so much along the way. It also is a special thank you to Sherri for being my inspiration!


No comments:

Post a Comment